Top 10 family beaches to visit in France this summer
When you think of France... French beaches... summer, sea, sand, relaxation... there is nothing more "wow" than this! You probably wish you could just close your eyes and “land” on one of the postcard-like beaches of this country. Still somehow, when you consider a family holiday at the beach in France, with your children, you soon realize it kind of pays off to have a few hints on what the right places to go would be.
I mean... really, you most likely won't want to end up in a place where the location of the nearest beach doesn't even remotely know the meaning of the word "near", or where the path to it is like an obstacle course with steep cliffs, and then... when you finally get to the sea it's like Poseidon himself is rising up from its depths, releasing some tempestuous tides. So yes, anyone that plans a family holiday at the beach in France could use to know about some well researched locations, where there is easy access to the water, there are fine sandy beaches, and a child-friendly atmosphere.
Whether you choose Brittany's beaches or the white sands of Normandy, Aquitaine's and Poitou Charente's hidden gems or Mediterranean beaches, you are guaranteed to have a great time with your family and kids... if you get the hint on where to “land”.
In Brittany – with its rocky coves, creeks and dramatic cliffs
1. The Quiberon Peninsula – though it is also called "the wild coast" you will find here beaches such as la Plage Conquel which is sheltered by the bay. The little ones will love the shallow rock pools they can explore here. Near La Grande Plage there is the Villa Le Zal, perfectly suitable for families with children.
2. La Grand Plage in Carnac – soft sand and beautiful dunes await for you here. This is what you would call a classic seaside resort, where you can create some great new memories with your family. Residence "La Sauvagère" in Carnac is a welcoming place for families, situated in a quiet area.
In Normandy - with its endless beaches and historic destinations of great importance during WWI
3. Trouville Plage – close to Deauville, this white sand beach is simply breathtaking. You will love every single moment spent here, relaxing by the sea while your little ones are building sand castles and... allow you to actually relax.
4. Cabourg – its beautiful beaches will enchant you. From Le Caneton Villa for example you also have great sightseeing opportunities, which is a more than welcomed idea if you spend more than a few days on a holiday with your children. Avoiding boredom in such cases is crucial to everyone's enjoyment, as many of us know. You must also visit the Etretat beach, north of Le Havre if you have the chance. It was the favorite of famous French artists and there is a renowned cliff arch here that is seen on numerous photos. Family selfie time!
In Aquitaine – renowned for its wild waves, it also has some family friendly beaches that are simply ideal for a relaxing holiday
5. St. Jean de Luz – it is on the border with Spain, a beautiful and peaceful place that even has tents you can rent, so you don't have to be in the sun all day long.
6. Arcachon and Pyla beach – the Camping-club La Forêt here offers you the chance for surfing, sailing, boat rides, windsurfing, paragliding, cycling on various bike trails, enjoying recreational parks, swimming. The kids will love it here, exploring the Pyla dune and finding something fun to do every day. Arcachon city center is close by as well, so sightseeing is also an option.
In Poitou Charentes – you will find some of the most known places for a holiday at the beach
7. Les Sables d'Olonne – it is near this place that you will find the Sauveterre beach, with a bit of a wild atmosphere and lots of greenery, yet a very safe and well maintained beach
8. Île de Ré – with its diverse landscape, it offers all sorts of activities. There are typical villages here you can explore, water sports you can enjoy, lighthouses offering superb views of the sea, bird sanctuaries.
Mediterranean beaches – the French Riviera is a favorite for many, no doubt. It's hard to even find a match for the Mediterranean beaches of France, so here's just a few hints:
9. Bormes-les-Mimosas – a stunningly beautiful white sandy beach, perfectly safe for swimming, with a sand-edged lagoon. Great place for great times with your loved ones.
10. Villefranche-sur-Mer– a seaside town with beautiful beaches. One of the best things about it and actually one of the things that makes it suitable for families is the fact that it is far less crowded than other places on the French Riviera.
Whether you choose wide sandy beaches or pebbly beaches in France, you are guaranteed to have a good time. Planning a family holiday at the beach is not always the easiest thing, but we gotta give it to France... it makes it all worth it.
4 lessons I learned while traveling with my family
Traveling with your family is a great way of exploring the world together. There are so many places you can choose from, and so many fun activities to enjoy in each and every one of them, that you will never run out of options.Read more
10 things you need to know before you rent a holiday home
If you're looking to rent a vacation home and don't quite know where to start, one thing's for sure: you're not the only one.Read more
Ascension Day Holiday: Carefree Times at Parc Maasresidence Thorn
Ascension Day, also known as the Feast of the Ascension, is a Christian holiday celebrated 40 days after Easter. It commemorates the ascension of Jesus Christ into heaven after his resurrection. In Europe, this holiday is a public holiday in many countries, including Germany, Austria, Switzerland, France, Belgium, and The Netherlands.Read more